Why should I consider seeing Dr. Brett Deacon at the Illawarra Anxiety Clinic?
1. Expertise: I am an internationally-recognised expert in exposure-based cognitive-behavioural therapy, the most effective approach for overcoming anxiety according to scientific research. I co-authored the leading book in the field on this approach. I have published over 100 scientific articles on the nature and treatment of anxiety. I have over 20 years of experience with exposure therapy, have trained and supervised dozens of students and practitioners in this approach, and regularly present popular workshops around the world on this therapy. Due to a lack of therapist training and the popularity of less effective approaches, it can be difficult for anxious clients to find a skilled exposure therapist. If you are seeking the most effective therapy available for anxiety from one of the most qualified, experienced, and expert practitioners in it, you have come to the right place.
2. Interpersonal skill. I understand that therapy can be an intimidating prospect. Opening up about painful topics with someone you've just met can be challenging. Strong interpersonal skills are therefore critical for any therapist. Put another way, a good therapist must be a good person. I do my best to be kind, respectful, personable, empathic, compassionate, non-judgmental, and genuine. I form strong working relationships with my clients and regard them as valued equals. It also helps that I specialise in a highly effective form of therapy that routinely and quickly helps my clients get better.
3. Values: I have strong values that prioritise the wellbeing of my clients above all else. I believe the practice of psychology should be science-based and strive to ensure that my work reflects current best practices in the field. I also reject the scientifically unsupported and disempowering idea that psychological problems like anxiety and depression are medical diseases caused by brain pathology.
4. Privacy: The Illawarra Anxiety Clinic is located in a safe, quiet, beautiful residential area. The clinic has no waiting room. Appointments are staggered one hour and 15 minutes apart. Clients come and go in complete privacy.
5. Time. Sessions last at least 60 minutes, not the standard 50 minutes as with most practices. Often, sessions last longer when time allows at no extra charge.
6. Flexibility. Our core value is "the needs of the client come first." Sometimes that means conducting sessions out of the office, via video or phone, at the client's home, or during a half-day or full-day. I often meet clients out of the office for therapy sessions, for example at Crown Street Mall in downtown Wollongong for exposure therapy sessions. Therapy sessions take place where they need to take place in order to best serve the needs of the client.
7. Comfort. Our office is lovely. The furniture is comfortable, the decor tasteful, and the view of the bush is beautiful.
8. Bally. My loveable golden retriever Bally is happy to join us, according to your preference.